After School Program
2020-21 AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM
Fitwize Adapts to What the School Board Plans
The Loudoun County school board voted on two plans moving forward for the 2020-21 school year; 100% Distance Learning, and a Hybrid 2 days at school and 3 days learning at home. Fitwize is proud to provide parents with the following program highlights and options in our 10,000 square foot facility.
Full-day (7:30am-5:00pm*) and half-day (2:30pm-6:30pm) options will begin on Tuesday, September 8 for those students choosing both the Hybrid model (2 days in school/3 days distance learning) or 100% Distance Learning.
Our full day program will include:
- Dedicated quiet space and Wi-Fi for students to attend virtual class
- Adult instructors to aid with required virtual learning
- Enrichment Program provides in-depth, hands-on learning to follow SOLs
- Daily Physical Education class and Recess
- Bi-Weekly field trip to Ashburn Library
- Monthly field trips
- Monthly INSPIRE Community Service Projects
- Monthly Nutrition Lessons
- Character Education Program
Parent’s will have the following options to choose from:
|100% Distance Learning (DL)
||Parents will choose the number of days their child will attend during the week; the day must be consistent each week. Parents drop-off at 7:30am and pick-up by 5:00pm.*
|Full-Time Hybrid Option
||Fitwize will pick children up 2 days a week from schools at the time of dismissal, and parents will pick-up by 6:30pm (T/Th or W/F). Parents will drop off at 7:30am and pick-up by 5:00pm* the remaining three full-days.
|Part Time Hybrid Options—2 Days In School / 3 Days DL
||2-Day After School Option: Fitwize picks up from schools at dismissal and parents pick-up by 6:30pm (T/TH or W/F).
||3-Day Full-Day Option: Parents drop-off at 7:30am and pick-up at 5:00pm.*
* option of after care from 5:00pm-6:30pm for $10 per day
**There will be a nominal one time fee for your child’s personal supply kit
WHAT IS FITWIZE?
Fitwize is excited to begin our 10th year as we open registration for our 2020-21 After School Program (ASP). We pick-up from most elementary schools and several middle schools.
Benefits of our program include increased self-esteem; enhanced academic performance; low-intensity, highly-achievable exercise experience; life-long benefits of learning about healthy eating; and new friendships. For more information and a tour, contact us via email or phone. Come see why our program has been waitlisted since our first full school-year. Complete our registration form to enroll you child(ren) into our program.
Where Academics, Fitness, Nutrition & Fun Come Together
Transportation is provided in our safe, clean, seat-belted vans, driven by experienced drivers. Our program is available Monday-Friday from the end of the school day until 6:30pm. As an extension to our program, we are open on teacher workdays and most holidays. A healthy snack is provided and our program is designed to meet the needs and interests of our school-age children. We hire the best to ensure the highest quality care in the area.
Our Program is Comprised of Our Five Pillars of Healthy Living
- Fitness Program: A daily one-hour fitness activity, which includes warm-up, strength training, core/functional and cardio training, obstacle course and cool down, is offered and is led by our ACE, CPR, AED and First Aid Certified Fitness Instructor. In addition, children get to participate in Fun Fridays and our popular Jump Fitness!
- Nutrition Program: Our hands-on program, developed by our Registered Dietitian and Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics, makes learning about nutrition simple and fun. Children explore the importance of healthy eating habits through interactive activities and monthly seminars.
- Academic Support & Technology Center: We make academics a priority as we allocate 45-minutes toward homework, Monday-Thursday. If homework is completed early, we offer our STEM center and technology center, which includes internet access to county-approved educational websites the LCPS use.
- Character Education: We teach children the importance of character traits, such as kindness, integrity, compassion, respect, responsibility, caring, courage and citizenship.
- INSPIRE Community Service: One of Fitwize’s staples is offering community service projects during the year. Our INSPIRE program is centered around children getting involved in the community, growing compassion, inspiring kindness and giving back. These opportunities provide the satisfaction and pride that come from helping others, and provide them with a sense of community and being a part of a family.
Enrichment Classes & Clubs
Classes and clubs are built to enhance our children’s experience while attending our programs. Our Spring program will include the following:
Classes – Tumbling
Clubs – Running (information coming late-February)
lndoor Activities, Free Time and Fun Fridays
Board and card games, arts and crafts, cup stacking and group fitness activities are provided daily to encourage children to use their teamwork skills, creativity and to challenge themselves. This will help to balance academic and non-academic opportunities as we believe children need time to just be kids. Fun Fridays are a day to unwind and have fun!
Outdoor Sport Court
Our sport court provides kids with the opportunity to play basketball, volleyball, soccer, four-square and many other games and activities. This is a fan-favorite area, especially in the spring and fall.
WHAT THE RESEARCH SHOWS
Why 60 minutes of daily physical activity and why teach nutrition education? According to the Center for Disease Control & Prevention, 60 minutes of exercise each day, can help maintain health and reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
- Studies have shown that regular physical activity can reduce the risk of depression, anxiety, can improve sleep and increase test scores.
- Studies have shown that children are more likely to lead a healthier lifestyle later in life if they learn about, and live, a healthy lifestyle as a child.