Why should my child be concerned with strength training?
Strength training for kids offers many of the same benefits that it does for adults. We also know that lifestyle habits are almost entirely determined by caregivers in the first decade and a half of life. All of the research shows it to be safe and effective. Furthermore, it is endorsed and supported by the American College of Sports Medicine, National Strength and Conditioning Association, and the American Academy of Pediatrics. Some of the areas that your kids may see improvements:
- Increased muscle strength & endurance
- Increased bone density
- Increased ligament and tendon strength
- Decreased risk from sports and activity related injuries
- Improved sports performance
- Promotes healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Boosts metabolism
- Decreased body fat composition
- Improved self-esteem
Is strength training safe for kids?
YES! Strength training is different than weight lifting, bodybuilding or power lifting. We promote lighter weights with more repetitions, aiming for about 10–20 reps in a minute. All of the movements are multi-joint, closed kinetic chain movements where the moving limb is held in a fixed position ensuring proper form and safety.
Our certified fitness coaches work hand-in-hand with each child to encourage and make sure proper technique is used at all time. We suggest two to three sessions a week, on non-consecutive days. Those off days would be a perfect time to take a group exercise class.
Can you tell me more about the nutrition program?
Our nutrition approach is simple and fun; using hands-on, creative ways to stress the importance of eating healthy. Research confirms that children need an integrated approach to healthy weight management that includes both physical activity and nutrition education.
Fitwize goes above and beyond by having a registered dietitian design and implement our program, which includes classes for children and parents. Families will learn about basic nutrition concepts and how to employ positive eating habits within their own families.
Our 60-minute monthly seminars include plenty of activities and games. We discuss a variety of topics throughout the year, such as healthy eating out, healthy snacking, hydration, sports nutrition and more.
Am I required to be here when my kid works out?
You are more than welcome to stay in our lobby to watch, however you do not need to be present while our child works out. It has been our experience that the children become more interactive and engaged when the parents are not present. The coaches are very good with the kids! We ask that you do return for pick-up at the end of your child’s session as we do not offer child-care after their session.
Can you tell me more about the group exercise classes?
These classes are a fantastic addition to our circuit training as they offer a more specialized training. We currently offer the following group classes:
- Balance & Agility Training – designed to improve balance, speed, agility and quickness
- Interval Training – incorporates 4 components of fitness to give a full body workout
- Plyometrics – helps to produce fast powerful movements
- Strength & Conditioning – focuses on strength, toning & defining while training your heart & muscles for endurance
- Zumba – high energy class that increases focus & self-confidence, boosting metabolism & enhancing coordination
- Youth Boot Camp – fast paced aerobic workout that encourages fitness through various types of movement
- Off-Season Explosion (for High School students) – conditioning class to help athletes better themselves in the offseason
- Total Body Fitness (for Adults) – designed for adults at any fitness level, exercises include fitness games, partner activities & body weight exercises that will provide a fun and supportive environment
How many days of the week can my child go to Fitwize?
For the best results, we suggest two to three circuit training sessions a week on non-consecutive days. If you would like to come more often, we strongly recommend a group exercise class or personal training session. We take precautions to make sure the kids are achieving maximal benefits without overtraining.
Can my child stay longer than 45 minutes?
If your child will attend a circuit training class then continue to a group session, they’re more then welcome to wait in our lobby between classes. We do ask that you pick your child up at the end of your child’s session as we do not offer child-care after classes.
Do you offer Personal Training?
YES! A trainer can be helpful in the following scenarios:
- Your child doesn’t like organized sports
- Your child is self-conscious playing sports or trying new activities
- Your child has some health issues and you prefer supervised exercise sessions
- Your child expresses interest in personal training
Here are some recommendations for finding the best trainer for your child:
- The trainer should have a degree and/or nationally recognized certification (ACE, NSCA, ACSM, etc.)
- The trainer should have experience training children, including a sense of humor and patience
- The trainer should create training sessions around fun activities that aren’t typical gym routines and include input from the child
- The trainer should offer a balanced routine of strength, cardio and core exercise
- The trainer should help the child find activities he/she enjoys and will do on his own
Can you tell me about Kids’ Night Out?
We host a periodic Kids’ Night Out. It’s a three-hour party and is generally held on a Friday or Saturday night. The program includes a round in the circuit, group exercises and various fitness-related games and craft. We have fun themes like ‘Fitwize Idol’, ‘Fear Factor’, ‘Disco’ and ‘Magic’ nights. This is a great opportunity for you (the parents) to make time to do something together, while your child is safe and engaged is something fun.
Parents’ Night Out and PTA/PTO Fundraisers
Fitwize 4 Kids offers local schools a “Spirit Night” like no other. We open our doors for your school’s students to attend, and a percent of the net profits go back to your PTA/PTO. The fundraiser provides your parents a night out while we entertain their children. We hold a three-hour event where we offer pizza, adult-supervised fitness games, tumble trak, craft and movie.
Do you provide assistance to children with Special Needs?
Our program is suitable for all children, including those with special needs. Our goal with all special needs is to determine the physical, adaptive and cognitive abilities of each child by first meeting with the parents. From there, suitable exercises, fitness activities and strategies for teaching can be implemented.
If group classes won’t be suitable for your child’s needs, we can provide a hands-on, one-to-one session with one of our instructors. Or, try out one of our preschool or special needs classes in the mornings.
My children are already involved with after-school activities, how will Fitwize be beneficial to them?
We are more than a kid’s gym. We provide children with the opportunity to develop life-long nutrition and fitness habits with a hands-on an educational approach. You will find that Fitwize 4 Kids is a great complement to any activity your child may already be enrolled in.